Checkout The Steps To Make Spicy Isi Ewu: Spiced Goat Head Recipe
Isi Ewu as the name implies is a spiced goat head recipe; this is one of the most requested delicious traditional food originated from South-eastern parts of Nigerian; there is no traditional marriage, chieftaincy tittle or special traditional gatherings without Isi Ewu.
Isi Ewu is prepared using goat head and some rich spices and herbs, it is a very common food sold in Nigerian restaurants or local food joints; instead of visiting these restaurants to ask for a plate of Isi Ewu, you can make some at home that is even tastier than the restaurant style to enjoy with your loved ones. See the Video too.
1. 1 Goat head, I used two heads
2. 1 teaspoon of edible potash, (Akanwu/Kaun)
3. 1 handful of Utaz leaves
4. 6 pieces ehuru (calabash nutmeg), ground
5. 1 table spoon goat meat mix spice
6. 2 stock cubes
7. 1 teaspoon onion powder
8. 2 medium fresh onions
9. 3 scotch bonnets
10. ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
11. 1 cup palm oil
12. Salt to taste
Steps on How to Make Isi Ewu
1. Wash Goat head thoroughly under running water to remove sand and black sooth, bring it into a large pot.
2. Season the meat with large chunks of onions, onion powder, pepper, stock cubes, ehuru, salt and goat meat spice.
3. Add water to slightly cover the meat and place on heat to cook for about 40 minutes or until tender.
4. Bring the goat brain into a foil paper, wrap it and add to the meat to cook.
5. Add about two fresh peppers to a mortar and crush, after 20 minutes take out the brain, add and mash with the crushed pepper and set
6. While the meat is still boiling, dissolve potash with 4 tablespoons of water and strain out particles, shred Utazi leaves, slice onion into
rings and set all aside. Once the meat is cooked, separate it from the stock and set aside.
7. In a wide pan, add palm oil, bring the potash mix and pour it to the oil a little at a time while you stir with a spatula, you will notice the
palm oil beginning to curdle as you stir.
8. Keep adding the potash mix and stir for few minutes. Once it riches a certain stage the palm oil will change to a light yellow or orange like
color and becomes thicken.
9. Add 1 tablespoon of the meat water to adjust the consistency of the sauce, bring the goat brain you have mashed with the pepper into the
sauce and mix until it dissolves.
10. After that, add more seasonings (Ehuru, ½ stock cube, goat meat spice and cayenne pepper) to taste. Add a little of the goat meat water
to adjust the thickness. Add some shredded Utazi and stir properly.
Aproko Girl (INC)Lekki Phase 1 (Lagos State , Nigeria)