How To Prepare Nigerian Sweet Potato Porridge
Sweet potatoes are always a versatile, healthy option for breakfast; they’re loaded with fiber and nutrients, including beta-carotene, vitamins A and C, and antioxidants. Aside that, they can be grilled, baked, mashed and grilled. Another great way to enjoy sweet potatoes is to cook them into savory porridge.
This delicious sweet potato recipe is perfect for cold weather; it’s a comfort food you can enjoy as breakfast or lunch, you only need just few ingredients to make it tasty. See how to prepare sweet potato porridge and also see the video above for better explanation.
Ingredients You Will Need
1. 5 medium sweet potatoes
2. 1 medium fish (mackerel or Salmon)
3. 5 medium tomatoes
4. 3 red bell peppers
5. 2 scotch bonnet peppers
6. 2 tablespoon ground crayfish
7. 2 stock cubes
8. 1 medium ginger
9. 1 cup chopped spring onion, ugu or spinach
10. 1 medium onion
11. 1-teaspoon turmeric powder
12. 1-teaspoon thyme
13. ¼ cup of peanut oil
Steps on How to Prepare Healthy Sweet Potato Porridge
1. Peel sweet potatoes and dice into medium sizes, rinse with clean water into a pot.
2. Add water to slightly cover the potatoes and place on heat to cook for 15 minutes.
3. While potatoes is cooking, blend tomatoes with peppers, chop onion, spring onion and set aside.
4. Season and cook fish to extract some rich stock, take out the middle bones and shred the fish with a fork and set aside.
5. Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain from the liquid and set aside, add peanut oil to a wide pot and place on heat.
6. Add chopped onions and ginger to the oil and fry for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
7. Add the blended tomatoes to the oil and cook for 10 minutes for the liquid to reduce.
8. Season the tomato sauce with turmeric powder, stock cubes, salt, thyme and pepper if you need more. Cook until the sauce starts to
9. Bring the boiled potatoes to the sauce and stir properly, add the shredded fish and the spring onion/spinach and stir well to incorporate.
Leave the porridge to cook on low heat for 5 minutes. Take it off heat and serve it warm or as you desire.
Aproko Girl (INC)Lekki Phase 1 (Lagos State , Nigeria)