Nigerian newspapers: 10 things you need to know this Tuesday
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers:
1. President Muhammadu Buhari will today undertake a four-day trip to the United Kingdom. A statement by the presidency disclosed that in the course of the technical stop-over for aircraft maintenance in London on his way back from Washington last week, the President met with his doctor and he was asked to return for a meeting. The President will return on Saturday, May 12th.
2. A Senior Advocate of Nigeria, SAN, Mike Ozekhome, on Monday revealed that Kogi West Senator, Dino Melaye jumped off a police van in Abuja to avoid death. The senior lawyer said this at a Kogi High court in Lokoja, the state capital. While dismissing police claim that his client was trying to escape, the lawyer said Melaye jumped down because he was gasping for air after he was tear-gassed twice.
3. The Nigerian Army, Monday, said it has rescued more than 1,000 persons held hostage by Boko Haram insurgents in some villages in Bama Local Government Area of Borno.
The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Texas Chukwu, disclosed this in a statement in Maiduguri. Chukwu said the rescue operation was conducted by troops of 22 Brigade of Operation Lafiya Dole, in conjunction with allies of Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF).
4. President Muhammadu Buhari Monday met with the President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara behind closed door at the Presidential Villa, Abuja. The meeting started shortly after Buhari returned to Abuja from his hometown, Daura in Katsina State on Monday. Discussion centred around the 2018 budget, Dino Melaye’s saga and other areas of concern.
5. The Chairman of the House of Representatives ad-hoc committee on the state of the nation’s four refineries, their turn around maintenance (TAM) and regular/modular licensed refineries, Hon. Garba Datti Muhammad has revealed that President Muhammadu Buhari would face the committee over the state of Nigeria’s refineries.
He stated this at the opening of a two-day public hearing of the committee, with officials of the NNPC in attendance.
6. The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Geoffrey Onyeama, on Monday called for the cancellation of the result of the ward congress of the All Progressives Congress, APC, held last Saturday in Enugu state, stressing that the exercise was highly flawed.
Onyeama made the call even as the Director-General of the Voice of Nigeria, VON, Mr. Osita Okechukwu described the exercise as “peaceful and transparent”.
7. The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration & Control has shut down Peace Standard Pharmaceutical Limited, Bioraj Pharmaceutical Limited and Emzor Pharmaceuticals Ind. Ltd after being implicated in the codeine syrup saga. The Director-General of the Agency, Prof. Mojisola Adeyeye disclosed this in a statement on Monday. Adeyeye said the decision was taken inspections at the affected companies.
8. The Organised Labour has presented fresh demand regarding the new National Minimum Wage for workers to the tripartite committee. Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) General Secretary, Dr. Peter Ozo-Eson, said the earlier demand by labour, which was presented two years ago, has been overtaken by the present economic realities. He said that the fresh demand was submitted at the last meeting of the tripartite committee after an agreement among Labour leaders, but did not make public what they are demanding.
9. Suspected gunmen on Monday attacked Veritas University, Bwari, Abuja, and abducted a Catholic Priest, Michael Kwanashie, who is also the personal assistant to the Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Michael Kwanashie. Report says the attackers stormed the Catholic institution around 12am and shot into the air before kidnapping the victim from his quarters opposite the school.
10. President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed some of the issues he discussed with the Senate President, Bukola Saraki and the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, during a meeting at the State House on Monday. According to Buhari, he briefed them on his meeting with President Donald Trump and also discussed the 2018 budget.
Credit ; DailyPost Nigeria
Aproko Girl (INC)Lekki Phase 1 (Lagos State , Nigeria)